Monday 21 April 2014

Epic Nail - Nail Transfer Foils Review


Hello lovelies,

I'm excited to be back with another review.  Not just to share with you these amazing nail product, but I've just come back from a holiday in Italy. Going away always makes me appreciate home, and I sadly realised how much I missed my nail polishes!! I limited myself to just two colours while I was away. I think that was very restrained of me.

Anyway... Back to the review...

I have had yet another opportunity to do a review for Epic Nail, this time transfer foils.



So here is the end result. This is All Laced Up,  I used a base coat of ColorClub Worth The Risque. 
Each Roll of foil is 4cm x 100cm.  Comes packed with a cardboard inner and a transparent hard plastic storage tube.  Epic Nail have some pretty awesome kits or foil packs which come with the glue you need and 6 different foil designs which in my opinion is good value for money.  Or you could just get a single roll. Also have look at their shellacs, I did a review a little while ago (here). 

Epic Nail regularly have specials so it is worth subscribing to their email list.

All Laced Up
(buy online here)


To be honest, at first I didn't like foils, it's true.  I couldn't quite work out if it was actually as difficult as I was finding it be OR I just wasn't getting it.  I had almost given up trying after many failed attempts.  Sometimes it's best to put things aside and come back to it when you're ready, I'd had enough for one day and I wasn't getting anywhere anyway.




Weeks past and I saw a fellow nail art YouTube-r I follow [Miss80Million], she made transferring the foils look so easy and I was inspired to try once again.  Her video was a basic introduction to transferring foils, this is where I needed to pick up from where I had last left off.  I needed to go right back to step one.

So I did some more research about common problems others faced when using transfer foils. I was relieved knowing I wasn't alone!  I will also note here, I'm still trying to grow the courage to attempt marbling once more...

So watching Miss80Million's video gave me the motivation to try again. And they worked! It actually worked! By the end of it I was doing two even three fingers at a time. The biggest tip I learnt was to WAIT. At least 5-10mins for the glue to dry before applying the transfer foil. 


Tips & Lessons Learnt:
In no particular order of importance, here is a list of things I discovered myself and also from what learnt from others in my search.
  1. Use a base colour - Needs to be completely dry
    Choose a colour that closely matches the foil.  Because the foil may not cover the entire nail perfectly, this covers up any untidy edges.  One coat is probably all you need.  Think of it as a clean edge manicure insurance policy.

  2. Patience, you need to WAIT!!!
    Some packages say to wait 3mins or until the glue "goes clear".  This is what I did first time... and it never worked. I found many other nail enthusiast said to wait, and then wait some more, sometimes up to 15mins.  And they were right girls and boys.  I painted 2 nails, watched some TV then came back about 10mins later and it worked.  This was my breakthrough moment!
  3. Use a Cotton-Bud (or Q-Tip)
    Orange sticks could pierce the plastic sheet of the transfer foil.  Or you could use your fingers, but you seem to get more even pressure and control using a Cotton-Bud to smooth out the bumps and bubbles.
  4. Place carefully
    Take the time to place the foil properly (remember there is no rush, the glue will be better the longer you wait anyway).  Once the foil touches your nail, you can't 
    re-position it! This can be an issue if the foil is a pattern.
  5. Don't forget Top Coat!
    It's so important to seal in the foil, not only makes it last longer, but it's so pretty and shinny too.

    As a suggestion, perhaps apply a fast drying top coat after your base colour, just in case you stuff it up.  With nail polish remover you can remove the foil layer without damaging your base underneath.  This way you save yourself painting you nails from scratch again, and attempt to re-foil (take-two).

The finished results I think are amazing. I was too embarrassed to take pictures of my first attempts, but in reflection I should have, just so I can show you what a big difference following these handy tips made.


Have you tried foils before? What was your first experience like? What do you find helped? 


xx Karen xx




0 comments:

Post a Comment